In July of 2008 Mayor Alberts and Council named the environmentally sensitive lands at the north east corner of the 175 acre Hope property as the Hope Redwoods Natural Area in honour of the Hope family.

Charles Edward Hope moved to Vancouver from Yorkshire in 1888, shortly after the completion of the Canadian Pacific Railway. He appears to have first worked as an architect, and later, as a surveyor. He served as a school trustee in Vancouver for three years in the early 1900s, and after moving to Fort Langley, served on the Langley School Board from 1921 to 1923. He also served as a member of Council. He originally came to Fort Langley to survey land purchased by Alexander Mavis from the Hudson’s Bay Company. At this time, Mavis owned much of the village, and intended to sell many of his holdings as residential lots, for $50 each. Hope met and married Mavis’s daughter, and acquired part of his estate after Mavis’s death. Hope’s farm, Deep Creek Farm, lay east of 216 Street to the Salmon River between 88 and 96 Avenues.

Hope’s business interests were extensive. In 1897 he formed a timber and surveying agency. He was the manager of a mining company. He was a director of United Grain Growers and the Pacific National Exhibition.

Hope was a Conservative in politics. He was a member of the Society of Professional Engineers, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, a 32nd degree Mason, and a prominent Anglican and is thought to have designed St. George’s Church. The church has a number of memorials to members of the Hope family. When Hope died in 1949, he was buried in the Fort Langley Cemetery in a plot that had once been part of his Fort Langley holdings.

Alexander Campbell Hope was one of the three sons of Charles Edward Hope. He was born in Vancouver in 1894, but knew Fort Langley from an early age as the family moved back and forth between their homes in Vancouver and the village.

Alex Hope, as he was generally known, became interested in agriculture at an early age. His father’s farm was located to the west of the village, a few miles from the family home. Under Alex’s management, the farm produced sheep, cattle, vegetables, and holly. Alex moved to Fort Langley in 1922 and soon became involved in community affairs. By 1930 he was serving on the School Board. This was followed by 3 years as a councilor for Ward 4 (West Langley). Alex became Reeve of the Township in 1935, a position he occupied for 11 years. During his final term as Reeve he was elected to the provincial legislature and served as a Conservative for the riding of Delta (which then included Surrey and Langley) for 8 years.

Alex’s public activities included memberships on the Province’s Agricultural Advisory Board, on the B.C. Coast Vegetable Marketing Board, on the B.C. Certified Seed Potatoes Growers Association, and on the B.C. Federation of Agriculture. He was instrumental in establishing the B.C. Artificial Insemination Centre; know locally as the “bull farm”. He also chaired the Salmon River Dyking Commission for a number of years, and through his role in Victoria, helped to reconstruct the dykes after the 1948 flood.

Alex had a great interest in local history. His father and grandfather had once owned the site of the Hudson’s Bay Company’s fort and he became the president of the Fort Langley Restoration Society that helped to convince the federal government to restore the fort in time for the 1958 Centennial Celebrations. He was a charter member and president of the B.C. Farm Machinery Museum Association and chair of the Langley Centennial Committee that planned the construction of the Langley Centennial Museum.

On top of all this, he was a president of the Fort Langley Improvement Society, which continues to operate the Fort Langley Community Hall as well as of the Fort Langley Board of Trade, now part of the Chamber of Commerce. He was a past Chief Factor of the Native Sons of British Columbia Fort Langley Post.

Like his father, he was a Conservative, and member of St. George’s Anglican Church, the site of his funeral. After his death, he was memorialized by the naming of Alex Hope School and Park, not far from the family farm, part of which has been acquired by the Township of Langley for park purposes.