In 1880 (just 7 years after the incorporation of the Township of Langley) John Beaton McLeod, his wife Catherine and their young family arrived in Langley and bought a farm near the Surrey Border, south of Old Yale Road. However, the farm was subject to flooding so, in 1882, the McLeod family took up a second farm at the south end of the former Hudson Bay Company farm. Their farm included all of the land now occupied by Christian Life Assembly Church, Langley Secondary School and the McLeod Athletic Park.

Life was hard for the early pioneers in Langley. In fact, the year after the family moved to this location, John McLeod was hauling lumber from the West Mill and fell into the Salmon River. He caught pneumonia and died.

The farm was then left in the hands of his widow Catherine and his young son, Neil. A couple of years after John’s death, they donated land on 216th Street for the Prairie School. 50 years after donating land for a school, the family again donated a 2 acre parcel, this time as a park in memory of Neil McLeod. The Neil McLeod Memorial Park is now within a 60 acre municipal athletic complex. The majority of the site was purchased from the McLeod family. The park provides for sports tournaments and a site for specialty sports, such as track and field. The park currently contains ball diamonds, soccer fields, an artificial turf field, a 400 m running track, field events area, a grandstand, a field house, a covered sport box, picnic shelter and playground. Neil McLeod used to be on the Langley team of the Horseshoe Pitch League in the 1920’s and, therefore, the picnic area also includes a horseshoe pitch.

There has been a tradition of community involvement in the development of the park. The earlier fields were constructed through volunteer efforts of the Langley Volunteer Sports Association. The Ron Ralph Fields are named after one of the key volunteers of the Association. Up until 2002, the park was simply referred to as the Municipal Athletic Park. Neil’s son, Bruce together with wife, Edna, and the rest of the McLeod family attended the ceremony officiated by Mayor Kurt Alberts to rename the sports complex “The McLeod Athletic Park”.